Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Slim Vegan Boy on Two Fat Ladies

Last night while perusing the internet, I saw a photograph a great big woman cooking and I was suddenly struck by nostalgia. I am not talking about my mother, I am talking about a cooking show popular in the late nineties called "Two Fat Ladies".

I cannot quite remember what channel it was on, but I have a feeling it was PBS. All I remember is watching it with my mom occasionally while she sipped on "Constant Comment" and I munched on "Lorna Doone's".

twofatladies

The two of them are fantastically entertaining. Of course, their accent is amazing, but it's just them saying "strawburries" that makes them endearing, they are truly intelligent when it comes to talking about food and use phrases like "truly ravishing" and enchanting to describe red currants. I also really like the idea that neither of them seems to be aware of what the other one is making until the cameras are rolling.

Another thing that makes them enjoyable are their little acidic asides about supermarkets, vegetarians, "kids these days", and processed foods.

I cannot eat a bloody thing they make and they loathe vegetarians, but I admire their use of remarkably fresh ingredients (their whipped cream is always so tempting in its provincial clumps) and there's not a single processed food.

Anyways, instead of me babbling on and on about them, why don't you watch a little clip. It's ten minutes long but do not miss a second.



This is sort of a precursor to another corpulent cook (oft described as "Rubenesque") who is very near and dear to my heart... Come back soon!

1 comment:

  1. i loved them too! they rode motorcycles in the intro and i thought that was so funny.

    ReplyDelete