Monday, December 3, 2007

Fête Up: Holiday Sweaters

Do you like my clever sloganeering? It's as though Nylon writes all my blog titles!

Hanukkah begins tomorrow and that means it is officially okay for Holiday Parties to begin (as decreed by the secret Israeli police).

As a thrower of several Holiday fiestas and an attendee of billions of festive get-togethers, I would like to drop helpful hints about Holiday parties throughout the course of this week.

Dressing appropriately is highly important to insuring everybody has a good time. Nobody wants to see your feet in the wintertime (or most time) so avoid flip flops. Also I don't know anyone who likes Uggs so don't encourage the fashionistas to snicker and scoff at you all night by showing up in your sueded mistakes.

Holiday Blunder: Last year, some friends and I went to someone's (way) older cousin's house for a Christmas gathering. It was pretty WASPy so it's safe to say it was a Christmas party. For some reason I thought it would be neat to wear my crazy AA hoodie (show on this fellow here) and black skinny jeans. Pairing those clothes with my height and age, I stood out prominently. Picture those posters and ads you see in American Eagle of what they imagine the perfect holiday party should be, and that's what it was. Fortunately the eggnog was flowing and I launched into a Spanish tirade that took me from the oddball out to the festive noel.

It is important to note that there is nothing wrong with standing out and being different! Right Judy Blume?!? But it is also important to note that there are times when its best not to stand out like a shiny gemstone in a pile of Ticonderoga pencils, such as: Vietnamese POW camps, most frat parties, the Westboro Baptist Church, etc. etc.

I'll have more tips and tricks for appropriate Holiday party-wear and other aspects of Holiday partying in the coming days, but for now, I'll leave you with Hannah's and I's planned festive apparel.

No comments:

Post a Comment