Thursday, November 22, 2007

Pennsylvania Deutsch Wonderland


Happy Thanksgiving!

Ahh the 80's, when father had burly facial hair and auntie wore weird sweaters and acid wash jeans. My favorite holiday is most certainly Thanksgiving. There's nothing I love more than eating a fantastic late lunch with my family. This Thanksgiving was particularly enjoyable since I have not been home since August 23rd. Instead of going to my nana's house for her usual feast, my great-aunt invited us out to Amish Country for dinner at a smörgåsbord. While change and new experiences makes me queasy, I had an overall great time with the family.

Being in Lancaster reignited my love of my prominent Pennsylvania Deutsch and distant Amish background so I thought I'd make that today's theme for food and style!

The best dessert EVER is Shoo Fly Pie ( unless your my mother or nana who prefer another PA deutsch dessert known as 'funny cake' ).
It's basically a layer of molasses and then a coffee-cake type of deal on top of that with a delicious pie crust. If you are ever anywhere near me, ask me to make you one. If you don't know me or are far away, go buy one in Lancaster. If NEITHER of my suggestions appeal to you, simply come back here tomorrow and I might share my (vegan) version of my favorite PA deutsch treat.

As far as style goes, a lot can be learned from our primitive / uncivilized brethren, the Amish. Their clothes are (unsurprisingly) all about simplicity BUT also bold colors. So for something as simple and American as the Amish, look no further than American Apparel for all your Amish-couture!



A solid color collared shirt, black button-up vest and a pair of (almost)black slim slacks will have you raisin' barns til the morning!



November is marriage month for the Amish and you'll be sure to win over every Mr. Smucker and Mr. Ackernecht in the community in this baby blue collared shirt and skirt outfit. What the ankle-revealing skirt lacks in demut ( or humility ), the high-waist and opaque pantyhose make up for it enough so that all Ordnung ( community council ) can agree on!

Now put a little rumspringa in your step with these outfits only the English would wear:



Shiny and unnatural fabrics are forbidden in the Amish community thus a lamé windbreaker and nylon shorts are the perfect way to stick it the conscientious objectors! Wearing a work-shirt on the outside is the pickled cabbage in the chow-chow!



I'm pretty sure there is a passage in the Bible that says women are not allowed to wear men's clothing (take note all you biddies who buy up all the small sizes in the guy's sections of my favorite stores!) so wearing your brother's overalls and a wide necked leotard is a surefire way to go straight to hell in style. I read that the most popular color amongst Amish women is purple. This fancy party dress in purple is not your old memmy's wedding attire! And finally, the brash and boldness of this polo dress looks shunnigly sinful paired with AA's silver cardigan.

So there you have it! All your Amish lusts and desires can be fulfilled (for a price!) at American Apparel.

I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments: